The EFL support Blackpool's request to suspend ticket sales to Leyton Orient fans in last League Two match

The EFL have released a statement backing a request from Blackpool to suspend ticket sales to Leyton Orient fans stating 'the concerns are not without foundation.

On Saturday, the O's faithful stormed the Brisbane Road pitch in the 85th minute in their 3-1 loss at the hands of Colchester United to stage a peaceful protest against the governing body and owner Francesco Becchetti.

An hour after, an announcement was made saying the game had been cancelled however, the players returned to the pitch to complete the final five minutes once the stadium had been cleared.

It was then revealed the EFL had come up with the 'cancelled' solution in order for the game to be completed for Colchester's play-off hopes.

The statement reads in full: "The EFL has today supported a request from Blackpool FC to suspend ticket sales to Leyton Orient fans for Saturday’s final game of the Sky Bet League Two season.

The decision was taken following a number of concerns raised by Blackpool ahead of the match on Saturday 6th May 2017. 

"The rationale for supporting this request is to allow sufficient time for a full review of the match day safety and security arrangements (and any options within these) against the certainty of knowing the specific number of tickets sold to date and in which areas of Bloomfield Road.""The EFL's objective will always be to ensure that fans of both Clubs are able to watch the match live, but in seeking to achieve this, we are required to consider all the contributing factors, to ensure that the safety of everyone at the game is not put at risk. 

"Blackpool's concerns are not without foundation based on both the events that took place at Leyton Orient’s Matchroom Stadium on Saturday evening, and the fact that Blackpool themselves remain subject to a suspended charge following the failure to fulfil their Sky Bet Championship fixture against Huddersfield Town at Bloomfield Road on 2nd May 2015."

"The EFL Executive will consider all the matters on Tuesday and ensure that all the relevant parties are given the opportunity to contribute, including Leyton Orient and LOFT (Leyton Orient Fans Trust)."

"A further update will be provided at 18.00 on Tuesday 2nd May."

To the O's faithful, this may seem like another betrayal as they feel the EFL and the FA have done little to help them during their plight.

The east London club was handed a winding-up petition last month over an unpaid HMRC tax bill believed to be around £125,000 to £250,000.

Since then the Italian has paid off any remaining debt to HMRC, Alchemy Creations (programme suppliers) and the stewards.

The club and the creditors are due to appear in High Court on Monday, June 12 after Orient were given a stay of execution. 

thisislocallondon
EFL_support_Blackpool's_request
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
4 views in october
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Society
Tube drivers on the Piccadilly Line are set to hold fresh 24-hour strike action in a row over staffing and working conditions. The RMT Union has urged members to walk out at 12:00 BST on 7 November until noon the following day - writes bbc.com The union's general secretary Mick Cash said it had become "frustrated" with Tube bosses' handling of a "full raft of issues". Transport for London (TfL) said it was "disappointed" with the new strike. Drivers on the...
Society
The Tate and the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) are calling for a premium to fund arts classes in England's schools. The major arts institutions say league tables and pressures on time and budgets are squeezing out important creative subjects - writes bbc.com Six thousand 11 to 18-year-olds have described how the subjects help build their confidence, in new research. The government says it is investing almost £500m in arts and music. Creative subjects hav...
Crime
Five teenagers have been jailed for fatally stabbing a man in an unprovoked attack as he returned home from an appointment with his pregnant partner. Daniel Frederick, 34, was knifed repeatedly by the group just yards from his home in Stoke Newington, Hackney. Three teenagers were convicted of murdering Mr Frederick while another two were found guilty of manslaughter. They were jailed at the Old Bailey for a combined total of at least 64 years. Judge Phili...
Society
Work at a building site near London's Olympic Park has stopped after complaints about "horrendous" smells. Nearby Mossbourne Academy said its students felt sick and local residents spoke of headaches because of smells coming from the site in Hackney Wick. The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) told Telford Homes to stop work last month until a new plan to "manage the site" was approved. The LLDC and Telford Homes claimed there was no health risk....
Society
Ten of Britain's busiest railway stations have seen over half of all train services delayed by a minute or more this year, research has revealed - writes bbc.com Manchester Oxford Road had the least punctual services, with 68% delayed. Data analysis by consumer group Which? found York, Gatwick Airport and Birmingham New Street also saw less than 40% of trains arrive on time. The group said even small delays could have "a knock-on effect" on passengers' abi...
Society
Two more east London schools have closed because of an infestation of false widow spiders. John F Kennedy Special School, which has campuses in Stratford and Beckton, and Godwin Junior School, in Forest Gate, announced they would close. False widows are about the size of a 50p coin and are the most dangerous spider species in the UK. Four secondary schools and four primary schools, all in Newham, have closed for various amounts of time. Thousands of childr...
Society
London Abused Women’s Centre says an anti-sex-trafficking online ad campaign that drew scores of calls for help from women and girls was so successful, it's already planning another. London Abused Women’s Centre says an anti-sex-trafficking online ad campaign that drew scores of calls for help from women and girls was so successful, it’s already planning another. The online ads, targeting both possible trafficking victims and sex buyers, appeared or were v...
Society
Women have been warned not to use headphones or mobile phones while walking alone after a series of sex assaults near a Tube station. Ten separate assaults on lone women in Cricklewood are thought to be linked, police said. Most of the attacks have taken place near Willesden Green Tube station, where the latest victim was assaulted early on Sunday. The Met urged women to "take care" when walking alone. Sunday's attack, on Walm Lane, happened when a woman w...
Society
Former JLS member Oritse Williams has appeared in court accused of raping a fan in a hotel room after a concert. The 31-year-old was arrested in December 2016 in connection with an incident in a hotel in Wolverhampton. The singer, who first appeared on X Factor in 2008, was given unconditional bail by magistrates in Walsall. Mr Williams, from Croydon, south London, is due to appear at Wolverhampton Crown Court on 8 November. Co-defendant Jamien Nagadhana,...