255 times more likely to have a fire caused by tobacco than vaping Brigade says

Following confirmation from British Transport Police that an e-cigarette caused a small explosion at Euston Station last night, the Brigade is re-issuing its message that you’re 255 times more likely to have a house fire smoking tobacco compared to vaping.

Firefighters were called at 1948 to assisted police officers at the incident in Euston. The station was evacuated whilst police officers and search dogs checked the area was safe - writes London Fire Brigade.

A bag was found which contained an e-cigarette that was believed to have exploded. There were no injuries.

Safer option

Although four times as many people smoke as they do vape, there are 255 times more smoking related fires, meaning vaping is a safer option in terms of reducing the risk of fires.

Four fires in London have been recorded in the past year due to e-smoking equipment catching fire. While there are no recorded deaths or injuries at incidents the Brigade has attended, users are reminded to never leave their e-cigarette on charge while they are away from the house or asleep, and to always use the correct type of charger for their e-cigarettes.

Group Manager for Community Safety Mark Hazelton said:

“There have been cases where e-cigarette have exploded but the numbers are small in comparison with the significant amount of fire and fire deaths we see each year caused by smoking. In the last three years there has been 66 fire deaths caused by smoking and none relating to e-cigarettes. Overflowing ashtrays or a cigarette dropped while snoozing are typical causes of fatal fires. Quitting smoking is not only good for your health but also makes a devastating fire in your home less likely.

“As with all rechargeable electrical equipment, it’s vitally important that people use the correct type of charger for their e-cigs to prevent fires from happening.”

1,213 smoking related fires

The Brigade's figures show in London, over the past five years, the number of fire deaths caused by smoking is 76. Last year there were 1,213 smoking-related fires, with 108 people being injured.

The majority of smoking related fires in the home started in rooms where people sleep - while three per cent of smoking related fires start in the toilet or bathroom.

Read also: Ministers 'must act on faulty white goods fire risk'.

LFB
fire_caused_by_tobacco London LFB
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
4 views in september
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Comments are designed to communicate and discuss the features of an enterprise or event, as well as to find out the interesting questions on it.

Society
Motorists across the capital are being urged to ditch their vehicles for a day and reclaim the streets from traffic when nearly 50 roads close for World Car Free Day . Greenwich Town Centre and Bermondsey Street are among 49 streets across London set to be car-free on Saturday in a bid to tackle poor air quality and encourage stronger communities. By supporting London Play , a charity working to give children the freedom to play by shutting roads to traffi...
Society
A Thames Water engineer has been hailed a hero after saving a choking baby who had stopped breathing and was turning blue. Jack Gale was carrying out maintenance work in a churchyard with a colleague when they heard the eight-month-old baby’s mother crying for help and came to the rescue. The woman had rushed out of her Earl’s Court home carrying the little boy, who had suddenly stopped breathing and was changing colour from lack of oxygen. Falling back on...
Society
London mayor Sadiq Khan has called for a second EU referendum, criticising the government's handling of Brexit negotiations with the EU. Writing in the Observer, the Labour politician said that with the UK due to leave the EU in six months, it now faced either a "bad deal" or "no deal"- writes bbc.com The debate had also become "more about Boris Johnson's political ambitions" than what was good for the UK, he said. Tory minister Michael Gove said Mr Khan w...
Society
Progress is being made to help deaf and hearing-impaired people enjoy live music. Kate Samuelson explores provision for those who – literally – feel the beat. From wedding first dances to familiar songs your grandparents used to hum, many of our most treasured experiences are connected to music. Music can heighten everyday experiences, trigger emotions and even help to heal pain. But its power is not limited to those with perfect hearing. Deaf people do no...
Society
The 2018 Great British Beach Clean expects a bumper year after the Blue Planet television series prompted a surge of interest in ocean plastic pollution The organisers of the annual Great British Beach Clean say they expect to see record numbers of volunteers at more beaches than ever before at this weekend’s UK-wide event. The Marine Conservation Society (MCS) has been running the four-day beach cleaning event for the last 24 years. In 2017, 6,944 volunte...
Politics
A portrait capturing tens of thousands of Year 3 schoolchildren from across London is being created by Oscar-winning filmmaker Steve McQueen. Year 3 pupils from the capital's 2,410 primary schools will be specially photographed for the project, which will go on display at Tate Britain. The project hopes to embody the diversity of the city in which Mr McQueen, now 48, grew up. The finished exhibition will be unveiled in autumn 2019. The 12 Years a Slave dir...
Society
More than £8,000 has been raised for the family of a young father who died in a motorbike accident in north London. Restaurant manager Adrian Cheung , 25, was killed in Kentish Town after colliding with a metal stand as he rode to work last Friday. A Gofundme page has since been launched to help support the fiancée and daughter of Mr Cheung, who worked at popular Japanese restaurant Kami. Friends and will-wishers have flocked to the page, set up by his bro...
Incidents
A survivor of the Parsons Green Tube bombing has told how the attack made him want to live life to the full onthe one-year anniversary of theexplosion . Carpet salesman Peter Crowley was hailed a “legend” when he turned up for work immediatelyafter the bomb exploded metres away from him on the Tube train. The device only partly detonated, saving many commuters from death, but sent a fireball shooting through the train, leaving 23 passengers suffering burns...
Incidents
A corn snake had to be rescued after becoming stuck in a mousetrap as it slid through a London street. The pink-scaled animal was spotted in a black device, unable to escape, by a passerby. They called the RSPCA to help free the snake. Joe White, the animal collection officer who responded to the call, said: “The poor snake could barely move and was well and truly stuck in the mousetrap. The snake had an abrasion where he was stuck but his injuries do not...