London is the capital of traditions, which the prim of the English observe for centuries, a city of changeable weather and busy life, the destination of thousands of tourists. We have prepared for you 10 interesting facts about this city and maybe some of them will surprise you.
10. London is one of the most visited cities in the world: every year the capital hosts about 15 million tourists.
9. There are approximately five thousand pubs in the capital.
8. On the territory of London there are about 20 hidden underground rivers.
7. In 1251, Henry III was given a polar bear. The gift was presented to him by the King of Norway. Henry III kept his pet on a long chain in the London Tower, so that the animal could swim in the Thames.
6. The statue of George Washington at Trafalgar Square in London is set on imported soil from the USA. This is done because one day Washington said: "I will never step at the English land again."
5. Residents of Oslo annually send to Britain a New Year tree, which is installed at Trafalgar Square. This is done in gratitude to the people of London for their help during the Second World War.
4. Only London Burger King once a week sells a hamburger that costs $ 200. All the money raised are sent to charitable funds.
3. Green plantations occupy 40% of the area of the British capital, namely 173 sq km.
2. The capital of the United Kingdom is home to 72 billionaires. According to this indicator, London ranks first in the world.
1. In London, you can hear 300 languages. The most popular in London schools (after English) are Bengali, Punjabi and Chinese.