What is healthy eating?
Healthy eating means eating a variety of foods from thefour food groupsto feel good and maintain your health. Eating well along withbeing activecan also lower your risk of disease and help you reach–and maintain–a healthy weight -writes golifehacks.info
How to eat healthy
Follow these steps to help you eat healthy:
- Eat the righttypes of foodby following Canada’s Food Guide. Choose a variety of foods from each of the four food groups.
- Eat the recommendedamount of foodfor your age, sex, and activity level.
- Read food labelstocompareandchoosehealthier foods when shopping. TheNutrition Facts tableand thePercent Daily Valuecan help you make better choices.
- Limit foods and drinksthat are high incalories,fat,sugar,andsodium.
- Use theEat Well Plateto help you see the proportion of each food group in a healthy meal.
Healthy food choices
Eat these foods more often:
- vegetables (especially ones that are dark green or orange)
- whole grains (like barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, and wild rice)
- lower-fat milk (skim, 1% or 2% milk) and milk alternatives like fortified soy beverages
- fish (like char, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines, and trout)
- lean meat (skin removed and fat trimmed)
- meat alternatives (like beans, lentils, and tofu)
Foods to limit
The following foods and drinks should be consumed only occasionally and in limited quantities because they are high in calories, fat, sugar, and/or sodium.
- cakes and pastries
- cookies and granola bars
- ice cream and frozen desserts
- chocolate and candies
- doughnuts and muffins
- French fries and other fast foods
- potato chips
- fruit-flavoured drinks
- soft drinks
- sports and energy drinks
- sweetened hot or cold drinks
Read more news of London on our site.