A public consultation opens on Thursday (9 November 2017) on the proposals to build a new cinema, redevelop Hammersmith Town Hall and regenerate the immediately-surrounding area of King Street.
New cinema, new public square and the re-development of Hammersmith Town Hall
Public consultation events will take place on:
- Thursday 9 November from 4pm to 8pm
- Saturday 11 November from 10am to 2pm
Both events will be held at Hammersmith Town Hall in King Street, Hammersmith.
Have a look atthe consultation information panelsand share your views online:
“We ended the council’s agreement with the developers of the previous scheme after they told us that their proposals were not financially viable because of changes in market conditions,” says Cllr Stephen Cowan, Leader of Hammersmith & Fulham Council - writes lbhf.gov.uk.
“The developers told us this only after they had begun to demolish the cinema. Having considered their alternative proposals, we decided it was in the best interests of our residents to take a different path.”
The council’s new development partner is A2 Dominion. They are a not-for-profit housing provider and together with the council, are taking this opportunity to be even more ambitious in the renovation of the Town Hall and breathe new life into this part of Hammersmith.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, one of the world’s leading firms of architects, have been commissioned to work up a new scheme. The brief for that includes:
- A modern new cinema
- At least 50 per centgenuinely-affordable housing for local residents
- Demolishing the ugly Town Hall extension
- A new public space in front of a restored Town Hall
- Staying within the massing and height of the former scheme
- New affordable, flexible office space for business start-ups
- A new arts quarter alongside new cafes, shops and restaurants
- Improved green spaces to help link King Street to the riverside
- Inclusive design to ensure excellent disability access
- Measures to green the environment and minimise the buildings’ carbon footprint.
“In the summer, I set up the new independent Residents’ Town Hall Development Commission,” adds Cllr Cowan. “It’s made up of local people who have long campaigned against or taken an active interest in the different, previous Town Hall schemes. They are now working at pace alongside the Town Hall Project Team. We all hope to deliver a new scheme that will make Hammersmith proud.
“I also want to make sure that we hear your views early on in this scheme’s progress. If you would like to see the initial designs, please come to one of our consultation events at Hammersmith Town Hall.”
There will be more of these preliminary consultations in early December. To register your interest, please email NewTownHallScheme@lbhf.gov.uk or call020 8753 5892and leave your details.
Following that, we hope to submit a planning application early in the new year and will then begin the formal planning process. If planning permission is given, construction work could begin in the summer of 2018.
Read more news of London on our site.