Family says dogs have attacked before

A Wallaceburg family is feeling a number of different feelings after hearing that a little boy in their neighbourhood was attacked by two American Bulldogs, because they say the two dogs have attacked before.

Nick and Lisa Persyn say their dog Jordan, a Jack Russell/Lab was also attacked by the same two dogs in October of last year, and later died from his injuries three weeks later. They say they want changes in the way dog attacks are reported and addressed so that incidents don't happen over and over again - writes

The condition of a three-year-old Wallaceburg boy Tucker Marcolin, who was attacked by two dogs on Monday, is improving as he remains in a Michigan hospital.

He was attacked by a dog while tobogganing at Wallaceburg's Jaycee Park down the street from his house with his babysitter and six-year-old brother. Police said two dogs escaped from their home and attacked the three-year-old child around 5 p.m.

The incident with the Persyns happened at Jaycee Park as well. They took their dog and their two-year-old daughter to the park on Oct. 20.

While at the park, two dogs, who they say were unattended, charged at Jordan.

“They got Jordan on one side of the neck and the other dog came around the other side of me and got him on the other side of his neck,” said Lisa Persyn. She tried to kick the dogs off of her dog, but they wouldn't stop them.

“They just had this growl and this determination that this is what they were going to do and they were going to tear him apart,” Lisa Persyn said.

Nick Persyn, a mountain of a man at almost six-foot-eight, covered up his dog to prevent it from being attacked.

“The dogs were jumping on me and over me and trying to get in wherever they can to bite him,” Nick Persyn said.

The Persyns said the attack went on for almost 15 minutes.

“They were just relentless. It was the most vicious thing,” Persyn said.

They say up to the incident their dog was doing well for an older dog. Jordan wasn't same after the attack. He was scratched up pretty bad, and wasn't eating after the incident. He kept on getting sick. Jordan developed bleeding stomach ulcers and died three weeks after the attack.

The incident haunts the Persyns.

The Persyns said they wanted something done about the dogs. They warned neighbours and contacted Pet and Wildlife Rescue (PAWR). Lisa Persyn credited PAWR for following up on the incident, and said they were working on the file, but said more should've been done.

“Those dogs should've been euthanized,” Lisa Persyn said. “These dogs were out for blood, this was different, this wasn't just a little snip.... If he (Nick) wasn't there (Jordan) would've been done right there.”

The incident also left the Persyns with a $1,000 veterinary bill.

After hearing about the incident with Tucker Marcolin on Monday, they said their hearts broke after hearing from neighbours that the dogs attacked again, this time a little boy.

The Persyns said there was feelings of guilt that they didn't get the job done in pushing for action against the dogs. They said they felt flustered.

“Something needs to be done or changed, so that an attack at that level things have to happen more than a slap on the wrist,” Lisa Persyn said.

They said the dogs have terrorized the neighbourhood in the past, the Persyns said, prior to the two attacks.

The Courier Press attempted to get a comment via social media from the woman who neighbours say owns the dogs, but she hasn't yet responded.

During Monday's incident a man and woman visiting family on Larkwood Street immediately ran to the park to help the young boy and babysitter, police said.

Tucker's six-year-old brother ran to safety and the injured boy was carried from the scene to a home as 911 was called, police said. The babysitter, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, was treated and released from hospital.

The injured boy was taken to the Sydenham Campus of the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance and was later transferred to a Michigan hospital for further medical treatment.

The dogs were identified and seized by Pet and Animal Wildlife Rescue and are currently in quarantine.

The community has rallied around the boy, as a GoFundMe set up on Tuesday, has raised over $18,000 in just under 24 hours. The goal for the campaign was $2,500 and that figure was surpassed in the first hour of the campaign.

In an update on the page, it said Tucker has had a few surgeries, and things are looking up.

“Tucker "The Tank" is a strong little boy who will get through this, he is currently in Detroit and will be there for over a week while he is monitored 24/7 healing,” they wrote in an update.

In an update on the GoFundMe page, it said it's expected that Tucker will make a full recovery. The GoFundMe page said Tucker had lots of stitches on his face and leg.

The money raised is aimed at helping the family with travel costs and the lost time from work for the parents.

Police continue to seek information from the public as the investigation into the incident continues.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Const. Ed Vannoord atedmondv@chatham-kent.caor at 519-436-6600 ext. 8668. Anonymous calls can also be made to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Read more news of London on our site.
dogs London incidents
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Children living in London boroughs with high diesel pollution suffer from stunted lung capacity, putting them at risk of early death, a study has said. Pupils living in areas that failed to meet EU nitrogen dioxide limits were at increased risk of lung disease, researchers found. The research studied 2,000 London school children over five years. "We are raising a generation of children reaching adulthood with stunted lungs," researchers said. Academics fro...
A private school teacher has been left partially blind after another woman smashed a glass in her face during a night out.  Lisa Bertsch, 30, was at the Be At One bar in Richmond when she was hit in her right eye. The tumbler shattered and left Ms Bertsch, who lives with her boyfriend in Kingston, needing emergency surgery. She said the attack happened when she tried to stop the assailant pouring a cocktail over her friend’s belongings. Ms Bertsch added th...
Discarded syringes have been left in play areas and car parks as a BBC investigation found councils were being called 50 times a day to remove them. Figures obtained by the BBC showed councils handled 18,496 cases in 2017-18, a rise of 7% in two years. A volunteer pricked by a discarded needle has told how he faces a wait for HIV and hepatitis test results. The Department for Communities and Local Government said it was "committed to doing more to reduce d...
The German Zeppelin bombing campaign of London during WWI has been brought to the fore again days before the centenary of the war in a film made by schoolchildren. The first ever example of strategic bombing in history - a tactic used in total war with the goal of defeating the enemy by destroying their morale or economy - was during the First World War Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II initially banned attacks on the capital because of his close connection to the...
London’s busiest train station has recruited a hawk to scare off pigeons following a spate of complaints from angry passengers. Aria, a five-year-old harris hawk, has begun patrolling Waterloostation in a bid to stop people having to “fight" off pigeons while eating. There are 27 food and drink retailers at the Network Rail-managed station, and many customers have complained about pigeons pecking at food and leaving a mess. The birds have been pictured sit...
London City Airport is going to fine airlines for breaching noise limits after a surge in complaints from residents.  The airport, based in the Royal Docks, has launched a “penalty and incentive” scheme for planes breaching its rules, and will name and shame them online. Bosses revealed the airport had seen a spike in complaints since launching concentrated flight paths in February 2016. The paths were changed after new air traffic control technology was b...
The Crossrail delay will cost Transport for London almost £200 million next year in lost revenue, the Standard has learned. Latest calculations suggest the expected nine-month delay to the completion of the Elizabeth Line, first revealed in August, will cost the cash-strapped body almost £550,000-a-day.  TfL, which has a deficit of around £1bn, has told the London Assembly it will miss out on £170million income from passenger fares and up to £20million in...
Motorists who park in cycle lanes in one of London’s “Mini Holland” boroughs could have their residents’ parking permits revoked, council chiefs warned today. A crackdown on illegal parking has been launched by Waltham Forest council amid growing anger at the way some drivers are blocking the new routes.  They are being introduced under a £30 million initiative to encourage walking and cycling by building Dutch-style segregated routes, including a three-mi...
‘Only a bloody stark raving alcoholic is bloody drunk at 1.30pm in the afternoon,’ says Air India pilot. A senior Air India pilot was grounded after he failed breathalyser tests shortly before a flight from New Delhi to London on Sunday. Arvind Kathpalia, who is responsible for safety at the airline as operations director, denied drinking on the job and said he would contest the results of the alcohol checks. “It was 1.30pm in the afternoon, only a bloody...