2,000 fight to get Bullers Wood school for boys approved before secondary places deadline

Twothousand parents and children are fighting to get a new secondary school approved just weeks before pupils are allocated their places.

Plans for Bullers Wood school for boys were approved by Bromley council but turned down at the last minute - writes standard.co.uk.

It left parents scrambling to find a temporary site so the school can still open its doors in September.

If they fail to find another site before March 1 — when secondary school pupils are given their offers — the 180 boys who applied for places will be forced to go elsewhere.

Mother of four Nancy Lengthorn, leading the campaign to build the school, said the fight has united the community. She said: “There are 2,000 people on our online support page, and 1,000 people recently marched to support the building of the school.

“We have mobilised the whole community. We have pulled together 12 other options for temporary sites.”

The boys’ school would be set up as a free school run by and next to the existing Bullers Wood School for Girls in Chislehurst.

The new boys’ school had been given planning permission, but the decision was reversed after more information came to light about the impact it would have on traffic. The council was able to reverse its original decision to approve the school because the legal documents had not been signed.

An initial planning application to build the boys’ school was turned down in October 2017, and taken to appeal.

In the meantime, a second application was approved. But then the results of the appeal raising concerns about traffic safety and congestion came through. This meant the second, approved application went back before councillors, who narrowly rejected it.

Mrs Lengthorn said: “This is now more than being just about a school. It’s about a community being tired of being represented by the pale, male and stale of Bromley council.”

More than 1,400 supporters have taken part in two marches from Bromley civic centre to the site of the proposed school. They said there will be a shortfall of 2,600 secondary-school places in the area by 2022.

Mrs Lengthorn added: “The girls’ school is an outstanding, inclusive state school which delivers better results than our local, private schools. It’s a no-brainer to find ways to extend that.”

Peter Fortune, Bromley’s executive councillor for education , children and families, said whatever happens, all boys will be offered a place at a Bromley school.

Read more news of London on our site.

standard.co.uk
Bullers_Wood_school secondaryplacesdeadline
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
3 views in january
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Sports
England female basketball stars were joined by an NBA great to inspire young women to take up their sport. Siobhan Prior and Georgia Jones were joined by three-time NBA champion Bruce Bowen at the Jr. NBA Girls Clinic, hosted at CitySport in Barbican on Monday, before a game at the O2 on Thursday between the Washington Wizards and the New York Knicks. Prior and Jones, who were in the silver medal-winning England Women’s team at the Gold Coast Commonwealth...
Society
Grieving parents heard that new medical practices could have saved their baby, who died in their arms at just four days old from preventable brain damage caused during labour. Sebastian Clark was born at Kingston Hospital on March 8 2017,  with devastating injuries from which he would never recover. Failure by midwives to escalate the case and subsequent failure by doctors to expedite the pregnancy, despite knowing that Sebastian’s mother Alison had develo...
Crime
A man has been tasered and arrested by police at a train station in south London. The 59-year old is currently being questioned on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon after being detained at Tulse Hill. British Transport Police officers were called to the station just after 6:30pm to reports of someone carrying a knife. Nobody was injured and the arrest is not believed to be terror related. Witnesses are being urged to conta...
Crime
A mother has died and her eight-month-old boy is in hospital after being hit by a car as they crossed a road. The woman, believed to be in her 20s, was pushing a pram when they were hit in Anerley, south London, last night. The boy is in a serious condition after suffering from life-threatening injuries. The driver of the car that is believed to have hit them was also taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries and is helping police with their inqu...
News Company
Breaking up with your partner is always a disastrous event. However, if your partner decides to break up with you, it isn’t necessarily the end. Statistically 66% of exes want to get back together again. 50% of separated couples reunite. Here we will show you tips on how to fix a broken relationship. If you want to find your love you must realize that it is all about respect and understanding your beloved one.  Accepting The Situation  You have to calm dow...
Society
A Londoner who used to contemplate suicide on his morning commute is now running the length of every Tube line to raise money for a mental health charity. Daniel Sherry, 29, quit his sports PR job in April 2018 and set about completing “30 challenges before 30”, including running his first marathon and cycling from London to Paris. His latest exploit is seeing him traverse all 11 lines of the capital’s 249 mile-long underground network above ground, on foo...
Crime
The family of London teenager Jayden Moodie say he had no links to gangs and was "murdered in cold blood". Jayden Moodie, 14, was stabbed to death by attackers who knocked him off a moped in Leyton on Tuesday in what police believe was a targeted attack. The teenager had moved from Nottingham to London with his mother six months ago for a "new start". No arrests have been made over Jayden's death, the Met Police has said. Speaking near to the scene where J...
Crime
A clubber who ploughed his car onto a packed dance floor in a drink and drug-fuelled rage after being thrown out by bouncers has been jailed for 28 years. Mohammed Abdul said he felt “humiliated” after being ejected from Blake’s nightclub in Gravesend, Kent, on March 17 last year. He drank at least 15 glasses of vodka, tequila shots and more than “five to 10 spliffs” of cannabis before he got behind the wheel of his Suzuki Vitara. Bouncers had kicked him o...
Society
More than 100,000 spectators will descend on central London to watch the Mayor’s firework display tonight as the capital gears up for New Year’s Eve. Barriers have been put in place lining the streets ahead of the display, which has sold out. Fences have also been erected around fountains at Trafalgar Square ahead of Tuesday’s New Year’s Day parade. Tickets are no longer available but the display is visible from Greenwich Park, Hampstead Heath, Vauxhall Br...