Laws of Britain: how to get housing allowance

UK citizens who do not have the opportunity to pay for housing have the right to get housing allowance, which will help to cover the lease or a part of it. Note that the housing allowance does not apply to heating, water and food.

What you can count on

Housing allowance can cover the lease in full or in part. A fixed benefit does not exist. The amount of assistance depends on what kind of living space you are renting: private or allocated by local authorities. If it comes to social housing, the assistance you receive depends on: - your income, including pensions, allowances and savings (more than £6,000); - suitable rent; - availability of free rooms; - family circumstances: incapacity, etc.

Free rooms

If you live in social housing and have a spare room, then your allowance can be reduced: for example, by 14% for one spare room, 25% for two or more. For example, your rent is £100 per week. The allowance is £50, the rest you pay. You have one spare room, so the benefit reduction is 14%. This means that your allowance will be less by £14 per week. At the same time in one room can live: - two children up to 10 years (regardless of gender); - two children under the age of 16 (same gender); - married couple. A separate room can be allocated: - to one adult; - one child, if the other common rooms are occupied; - a child who cannot share a room with someone because of incapacity; - a guardian for an incapacitated resident, if the guardian must remain at night. Rooms used by students or the military people are not considered free if residents have left, but intend to return.

Suitable rental payment

The term "suitable rental payment" means an acceptable payment for housing in your area, including maintenance costs of elevators or laundry, for example. However, heating and water supply are not included in this list. If you rent private accommodation, the appropriate rent will depend on: - the residence; - the size of the family: you need to find out how many rooms you can apply for; - your income: including benefits, pensions and savings (more than £6,000); - your circumstances: incapacity, etc. You should contact the local council if you: - live in a "floating house" or on a dock; - live in a van; - if the cost of rent includes the cost of meals (for example, boarding house); - in dorm; - in housing, protected by the lease. Exception: If you receive a housing allowance from April 7, 2008, these restrictions are applied if you changed your address or took a break from getting a housing allowance.

Who can apply for allowance

You can get a housing allowance if: - you have a low income: - you pay a rent; - your savings are less than £16,000; if you live with a partner, only one of you can apply for allowance. Usually, housing allowance is not allocated if: - your savings amount to more than £16,000; - you live in the house of a close relative; - you are a full-time student - if you are not disabled or have no children; - you live in the UK, but are looking for work in the European Economic Area; - you apply for shelter in the UK; - you are under immigration control. Usually you cannot receive allowance and universal credit at the same time. If your situation changes, you should inform the local authorities about this in order to be able to change the payment.

What you need to receive allowance

To begin with, you need to know: - how much you have to pay for rent; - whether utilities are included in the rental payment; - whether you pay for any other services (building maintenance or insurance); - information about the landlord; if your current lease has started in 1997 or earlier and you are renting from a private homeowner, you should know if you have a "guaranteed lease". If you rent housing from a private landlord, you will need to provide the original documents, as well as supporting documents: - the last payroll records (five if they are paid weekly, and two it is a monthly payment); - documents on other income or investment; - income of other people living with you.

Provide any two documents from the list: - passport; - birth certificate or marriage certificate; - biometric residence permit; - certificate of registration or naturalization; - permanent residence permit; - a letter from the Tax and Customs Duties Department; - the last utility bill; - a recent statements by a bank or a construction company; - the latest documents on awarding bonuses. If you rent a home from a private landlord, you also need to have one of the following documents: - a lease contract or rent book; - a letter from your landlord confirming your lease; - confirmation of rental payment (rent book, rental receipts or account statements).

How to apply for it

The application for allowance is submitted to the local council together with the necessary documents. You can contact Jobcentre Plus to receive a housing allowance along with an application for the following benefits: - employment and support allowance; - income support; - allowance for the employee.

read other news here

laws Britain housing_allowance UK
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
4 views in october
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

A village famous for its new year tradition of men prancing around with flaming barrels of tar on their heads has added another unusual string to its bow, by becoming home to a museum of science fiction props - which has opened in the cellar of the curator's house. Adventures in Science Fiction is the latest historical depository to join the 2,500 museums already in the UK. And with so many to choose from, there must be a museum to please pretty much every...
An “influential" black firefighter from London who experienced racial abuse at work today calls for others  to “step up and champion equality” as he retires after nearly 30 years.  Michael Nicholas MBE, who this week retired from London Fire Brigade, campaigned for equal rights in the workforce after experiencing “widespread” racism during his career. Hailing Mr Nicholas as the “UK’s most influential black firefighter” in a statement following his retireme...
Would you trust a taxi with no driver? Taxi firm Addison Lee is betting its customers will be ready to, in London at least, in just three years' time. It has joined forces with self-driving software specialist Oxbotica, and says the tie-up means it will offer self-driving taxis in the capital by 2021. The move will pit it against rival ride-hailing app Uber, which is also planning to roll out driverless cars on its network in the future, pending regulatory...
A senior US military commander has called on the UK to take back Islamic State fighters who have been "caught on the battlefield" in Syria. Maj Gen Patrick Roberson, commander of US special ops, also called on the government to repatriate two Londoners who have been called the "IS Beatles". The UK says El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey have been stripped of their British citizenship. The government is negotiating for them to face trial in the US. Speak...
A woman has died in a suspected gas explosion in north-west London. Her body was found in a first-floor flat destroyed in the blast in Fulbeck Way, Harrow, just before 01:00 BST Sunday. Another woman, a man and a baby were rescued from a second-floor flat, with the woman and child taken to hospital. About 70 firefighters tackled the flames and 40 neighbours were evacuated from their homes. The Met is investigating. The victim, believed to be in her 80s, ha...
About 13 million adults in the UK live in areas where at least half of the local banks and building societies have closed, analysis by the BBC reveals. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show nearly 6,000 local branches have shut since 2010, a fall of a third. The consumer group Which? called the number of closures "alarming". Trade association UK Finance said closing a branch was a last resort when usage falls. Banks and building societ...
A ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars should be brought forward by eight years to 2032, MPs have said. The government's current plans to ensure all new cars are "effectively zero emission" by 2040 were "vague and unambitious", a report by Parliament's business select committee said. It also criticised cuts to subsidies and the lack of charging points. The government said it aimed to make the UK "the best place in the world" to own an electric vehicl...
London area home sales fell 15.9 per cent in September from August because of a shortage of homes to sell, and that shortage of inventory helped push up prices by 20 per cent from a year ago, the head of the London St. Thomas Association of Realtors (LSTAR) said. In September, LSTAR reported 776 homes changed hands in London and St. Thomas, compared to a near-record August, when 923 homes were sold. By the numbers Homes sold in September: 776 (a drop of 6....
Radical preacher Anjem Choudary, jailed for inviting support for the Islamic State group, has been released. The cleric was sentenced in 2016 to five-and-a-half years in prison. He led an extremist network linked to violent jihadists, including one of the killers of soldier Lee Rigby in 2013. Choudary, 51, has now served half of his sentence and will complete the rest under strict supervision. Police are preparing up to 25 measures to control him, the BBC...