What to do if you have not passed the Habitual Residence

If you come to the UK from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) and apply for benefits or allowances in the United Kingdom, you need to pass a habitual residence test (HRT). The purpose of the test is to prove that you have the right to reside in the UK and want to live in the Single Immigration Area, which includes Great Britain, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man (this is habitual residence). Thus, the test consists of two parts: right to reside and habitual residence.

The second part of the test, that is, habitual residence, refers to British citizens who return to the country after living or working abroad, as well as to people coming to the United Kingdom from other countries. However, British citizens already have the right to reside in the Single Immigration Area.

Let's talk about what can be done if you do not meet the requirements of HRT.

Advice of a specialist.

Proving your compliance with the requirements of the test can be difficult. If you are not sure that you will manage on your own, ask for help from the civil consultation office.

If you do not meet the requirements of HRT.

If you are denied benefits due to non-compliance with the requirements of HRT, you need to apply for help immediately. It is likely that you will be able to challenge the decision.

Challenging the decision.

Before filing a formal appeal, it is worth asking for a review of the decision. It will not hurt to ask for the "reasoning part of the decision", and it should be done within a month.

You, in turn, may be asked to provide more information or demonstrate other evidence of your compliance with HRT.

If you have done everything in your power, but could not find the documents, contact the Ministry of Labor and Pensions of the UK to help find evidence that supports your words. For example, if your right to reside in the UK is based on a family relationship, but you cannot prove it, because you do not support the relationship, the Ministry of Labor and Pensions will be able to find the information in the archives.

Submit a new application for benefits.

If you did not meet the requirements of HRT during the first application for benefits, you can submit a new application later. This can be done simultaneously with challenging the original decision. In some cases, you can prove compliance with the requirements of HRT, simply by demonstrating that you live in the UK for a couple of weeks longer.

There is no need to wait for the result of the appeal or the decision to reconsider in order to re-apply for benefits. If you are told that this is considered an obstacle to re-applying, you must still apply for it and seek advice from a specialist.

Think about what else you can do to demonstrate your intention to live in the UK. For example, can you register with a family doctor, join a local club or a volunteer organization. Try to gather as much evidence as possible of your intention to live in the United Kingdom.

If you have a partner.

If your partner already has a right to reside and he/she is more likely to meet the requirements of HRT, it may be better if he (she) applies for benefits.

read other news here

UK Habitual_Residence_Test HRT
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
7 views in august
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Comments are designed to communicate and discuss the features of an enterprise or event, as well as to find out the interesting questions on it.

Cases of measles in Europe have hit a record high, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). More than 41,000 people have been infected in the first six months of 2018, leading to 37 deaths - writes bbc.com Last year there were 23,927 cases and the year before 5,273. Experts blame this surge in infections on a drop in the number of people being vaccinated. In England, there have been 807 cases so far this year. The WHO is calling on European countr...
Scotland Yard said the women, aged 64 and 30, suffered injuries "consistent with a violent assault" at Adderley Gardens, Eltham, at about 12:10 BST. Joe Xuereb, 27, who lives locally, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in Sidcup on Sunday evening. The women, who did not know Mr Xuereb, are being treated at hospitals in south London. A hammer believed to have been used in the attack was recovered from the scene, police said. Neighbour Bob Gover,...
A man has appeared in court over the death of a tradesman who was repeatedly stabbed 30 times on Friday in Walworth, south London. William Treadwell, 67, entered no plea to a charge of murder when he appeared before Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court. The victim, Gary Amer, 63, had been working to fix the boiler at Mr Treadwell's home on Madron Street. Mr Treadwell was remanded in custody to next appear at the Old Bailey. He wore a grey sweatshirt and jog...
Birmingham Prison is being taken over by the government from the private firm G4S, after inspectors said it had fallen into a "state of crisis". Chief Inspector of Prisons Peter Clarke described it as the worst prison he had ever been to. Inspectors found blood, vomit and rat droppings on the floor, sleeping staff, cockroaches and an overpowering smell of drugs. Extra staff are being brought in and the jail's capacity cut by 300. G4S said it welcomed the d...
Wasp nests are keeping pest controllers five times as busy across the UK, according to experts. "Pest controllers usually remove two to three nests a day but at the moment our members are being called to deal with 10 to 15 a day," said Natalie Bungay, technical officer at the British Pest Control Association (BPCA). Search interest in the word "wasp" in the UK was the highest in five years between 5 and 11 August, according to Google Trends. And the hashta...
A council is to offer free sanitary products in all its public buildings in a bid to tackle "period poverty". North Ayrshire Council said it was the first UK local authority to extend free provision to all libraries, community centres and other public offices. Sanitary products will be offered via vending machines in toilets in up to 100 buildings. The council was already one of the first to introduce free sanitary products in secondary schools. Since laun...
Rules around e-cigarettes should be relaxed so they can be more widely used and accepted in society, says a report by a committee of MPs. Vaping is much less harmful than normal cigarettes and e-cigarettes should be made available on prescription to help more people quit smoking, it said. The report also calls on the government to consider their use in public places. There is no evidence e-cigarettes are a gateway into smoking for young people, Public Heal...
A man has been charged with the murder of a nurse who appeared on Britain's Got Talent in an NHS choir. Simonne Samantha Kerr, 31, from Wembley, was found fatally injured in a house in Grayshott Road, Battersea, on Wednesday - writes  bbc.com She was treated by paramedics but pronounced dead at the scene. Desmond Sylva, 40, of Grayshott Road, will appear in Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Friday. Police are not looking for anyone else over Ms Kerr's death....
A maths teacher has been showing off her artistic skills by decorating rocks with incredible miniature versions of book covers. Ella Dickson, 39, spends up to an hour painting covers of books like Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Northern Lights and Matilda on rocks. She posts her intricate creations on a local Facebook page before hiding them near her local library for kids to find, photograph and then often re-hide. Mum-of-two Ella is part of th...